Sorry for the lack of posts again. I have been very busy with designing wedding invitations, so my free time is next to nothing right now.
Here is to my sweet friend asking for my yogurt recipe ;)
This is how I make yogurt in the crockpot. It really is the easiest thing ever, much less work than you may think!
What you need:
1) 8 cups of milk (1/2 gallon)... I would use whole milk (I think it makes the consistency better), but you can use 2% and I just tried the recipe with unpasturized and it turned out great
2) whisk
3) 1/2 cup of live/active culture plain yogurt (this is your starter)... once you have made your own, you can use that as your starter.
4) thick bath/beach towel
5) container for yogurt
Directions:
1) Pour 8 cups of your milk into the crockpot and turn the crockpot onto the low setting and make sure you put the lid on. Time it for 2 1/2 hours.

2) After 2 1/2 hours have passed, turn the crockpot from low to off and let it sit for 3 hours.
3) Pour your yogurt into the crockpot and stir it with the whisk to make sure the yogurt is completely blended with the milk.
4) Cover your crockpot with a towel and let it sit for atleast 8 hours (I usually let it sit covered in a towel overnight and it's fine by the time I get up....maybe around 10-11 hours) Just don't check it while the towel is on it, because it takes the heat away from it).
5) Take the towel off and pour your yogurt into a container and let it sit in the fridge. It will be a little runny which is normal, but cooling it off in the fridge will help it solidify a little more.

This saves tons of money, especially if you have a crazy yogurt eating house like I do! And if you don't like the taste of plain yogurt (like me), then put some honey in it or use it in some fruit/vegggie smoothies. Strawberry, bannana, and blueberry smoothie with spinach and a little flaxseed and wheat germ are my favorite! And my kids love them too....an easy way to get your kids to eat their veggies.

I just had to post this picture, because I thought it was hilarious! Well, I better get back to work. I have a lot to do, but am really excited about these wedding invitations. I will post some pictures down the road after they are mailed!
3 comments:
That's awesome you're making wedding invites! I'm sure they will look amazing! Jarret and I were just talking about your yummy yogurt the other day. I'm excited to make it now!!:)Morgan
Thank you! I am going to make this soon.
I never could get the crockpot to work low without burning , so i always made mine w/ a dehydrator.
I love yogurt , and i found if you strain the yogurt you get a near perfect thick greek style yogurt , and strain it a bit longer a cream cheese , and a bit longer a paneer or a tick rich cheese.
lovely post :D
Post a Comment