I have been doing a lot of research on eating healthy and buying food that hasn't been altered in any way. We do eat healthy, but I hadn't given much thought to where our food comes from and what happens in that process before it arrives at the grocery store that I buy it from. I HAD NO IDEA until I started watching documentaries....one of which is called, Food Inc. I am so thankful for doing this research, because I know this change will effect our health immensely. And it may hurt our grocery bill just a little more, but in the long run it will help lower our doctor bills ;) It's so worth it! It makes me happy to know that I am taking care of our bodies and taking care of my children the best I know how and in ways that God intended! So, what are we doing different?
- eating more granes
- eating less meat (until Johnny hunts down some of our own meat)
- eating lots and lots of fruits and veggies
- buying fresh produce (planning a garden of my own for this summer and supporting the farmers market)
- buying meat from a local family owned shop
- buying unpasteurized dairy
- continue making my own yogurt
I am sure I am missing things that have changed, but it will be an ongoing process as I learn more about how we can become a healthier family. Sometime I want to have my own chickens, so I can get my own fresh eggs, but that will have to wait till we are in another house.
Oh, and have you ever heard about Apple Cider Vinegar and all of its wonderful health benefits? Check out this website:
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/
We just bought some of our own and have been taking some every day (especially since it helps keep the flu away this time of year and it helps with weight loss ;).
So, the other day I decided to roast some collards. This picture isn't that appealing, but it really was very tasty!

I saw a recipe and thought it reminded me of seaweed (which I love). So, I washed the collards and dried them and then cut them up into smaller bite size pieces. Then I mixed together with olive oil and lemon juice. I laid the pieces flat on several baking sheets and sprinkled them with salt. I baked them for 20 minutes (which I would change to 10-15 minutes next time) and they turned out great. They are already gone. The kids loved them too, which was a pleasant surprise! I will definitely be doing that again!
But this doesn't mean we can't eat some sweets every once in a while. I made some extra yummy lemon bars the other day!

And of course I can't bake without a cute little helper ;)


1 comment:
Anna,
I want to get your recipe for yogurt. I have yet to try making it, but I really want to because I am tired of buying it all the time.
Post a Comment