Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wood Palette Bed

I guess we are finally on the mend...but, man, have we got some major cabin fever or what! So, yesterday we played doctor.
I think Maya was a little unsure of Calvin's doctor skills in this picture. She's like, "mom, are you sure it's ok that Calvin is checking my heart beat, because I don't know if it's normal to be cornered for something like that". Calvin's like, "Just stand still Maya, I'm the doctor. Just trust me".
We also tried to go outside to play in the snow (began with 10 minutes of getting everyone dressed and out the door and ended in lots of crying and marching back inside within 5 minutes of going out). Was it worth it? I don't know. It did give us something to do ;) Then we made some lunch. After naps we made some yummy oatmeal raisin cookies for Johnny (his favorite) and I allowed Maya to mix it, with some help of course (at some point I may have let go of her hand to see how she would do mixing by herself and the mixer may have went crazy and flung batter everywhere ;). Well, that ended in crying too, because she didn't want to let go of the mixer after we were finished. It was kind of funny and kind of annoying at the same time. She has such a strong will....hmmmm, I wonder where she got that from? You definitely can't see the stubbornness from this picture though....but let me assure you, what you see isn't always what you get ;)
Doesn't she look like such a BIG girl in these pictures?!!! Tell her to stop growing!
Our dog finally has a name! I told you we would pick one by the end of the week. Her name is SAL. Johnny really liked it cause it sounded a little tomboyish and with her "I'm so ugly I'm cute" thing going on we decided a tom boyish name was good for her. Although, she is quite the girl when it comes time to "go potty" outside in the cold snow! Actually, to be honest with you, she is a wuss and prefers to stand with a foot up in the air so it doesn't have to touch the snow at all. If she could manage peeing like that or even with all feet in the air, she would definitely be doing it. Again, it's pretty funny and pretty dang annoying! Potty training a puppy with two little kids in the house is tough. Honestly, it is horrible, but I'm not going to give up. I know she will get the hang of it eventually. I just need the patience and right now I'm being stretched to my max. I just hope this next week is better than the first.

Sal found a new favorite chew toy, the kid's play blood pressure monitor thing.
I found her chewing away on that thing. I also found the cat crouching up on the other side of her, just waiting for that perfect moment to pounce. This pouncing thing happens a lot!
Really, that's what it's like between the two of them. They still aren't friends, but I think the cat might be warming up a bit. I did see our cat, Violet, sniffing Sal the other evening while she was sleeping. We will see!

The other day I told you about a project Johnny and I were going to be doing. Well, here is a sneak peak at the progress.
Actually, we haven't done anything yet. All I did was stick the pallets under Calvin's bed to see what it would look like. We are making him a bed out of wooden pallets. Fun, huh! We will be connecting two large pallets, adding 4 BIG wheels to the bottom of it and then adding some sort of headboard. It's going to be lots of fun! This is where my inspiration came from...two websites I happened upon one day:

1) http://loftandcottage.blogspot.com/2010/11/tuesday-tip-found-furniture.html
2) http://www.homedit.com/circus-theme-for-kids-room/

And that is why I got him some vintagy looking bedding to fit with the antique/vintage furniture look, since the rest of the kids room is like that. When it's finished, I will have to give you a "Calvin and Maya" room tour.

Well, friends and family, have a wonderful weekend! See you Monday!